○ Full legal name: Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology
○ Location: 123 Cheomdangwagi-ro, Buk-gu, Gwangju, 61005, South Korea
○ The section of public affairs
- Head: Ms. Ranyoung Cho (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Student Exchange: Seulhye Kim (email@example.com)
○ Website: https://www.gist.ac.kr/en/ • https://ipa.gist.ac.kr
○ Language: Korean/English
- Minimum 1 year of full-time study at home university(BS)
- GPA (Grade Point Average) of 3.0 or better (on a 4.5 Point scale) or equivalent
- English Language Proficiency level in accordance with GIST requirement when English is not the first language (TOEFL IBT 80 or its equivalent in other English language proficiency test)
* It would be waived for the students from English medium institutions.
* If the student does not have the score of English language proficiency level, the certificate issued by home university’s language center is possible.
- The student will study at GIST for a semester and pay tuition fees to their home university.
* If GIST agrees, the student can study for two semesters.
○ Nomination by Email
- Please send a nomination to firstname.lastname@example.org before informing your students to proceed with the online registration. (attached excel file);
- The student should first contact the Exchange Coordinator at your home university. GIST will only process applications that have been nominated by the home institution.
- 2020 Spring Semester: October 1s t – November 15th 2019
- 2020 Fall Semester: January 13th - April 20th 2020 (Undetermined)
○ Application Procedure
- Complete the online application form and Upload (1) Original (Official) Transcripts; All in English, (2) English Language Proficiency Test Result, (3) Copy of Valid Passport. (Front page, not cover / check the expiration), (4) Official Photo(3cm x 4cm).
* All applicants have to receive GIST’s online registration link and a nomination code in order to sign up on our webpage. The code will be provided to the exchange coordinator of home university.
- 2020 Spring Semester: October 14tht – November 15th 2019
- 2020 Fall Semester: March 16th - April 20th 2020 (Undetermined)
* After a screening procedure, the student can get a notification of acceptance by email in December 2020 (for Spring semester)
○ Course information
- The student should take minimum 9 credits (3~4 courses in general), maximum 21 credits (7 courses in general)
- The course list for 2020 Spring semester for exchange student will be open before the semester. Students can refer to the course list for 2019 Spring semester (The link will be sent to the coordinator) Before that, Students can get a rough look at what classes we have in our school here: https://college.gist.ac.kr/college_eng/sub03_01_02.do
- Course registration procedures will be informed after the application process.
* The academic transcripts will be delivered to a coordinator at your home institution. It will take 1-2 months after the semester has ended.
○ Academic Calendar
- 2020 Spring Semester: March 3rd– June 12th, 2020(To be determined)
- 2020 Fall Semester: September 2nd – December 11th(To be determined)
* For more details, visit: https://www.gist.ac.kr/en/html/sub05/0501.html
- Dormitories are provided for all exchange students.
- The room is for 2 people, furnished with beds, closets, desks, and chairs. (blankets and pillows included) Shared facilities include restrooms, showers, study rooms, washing machines, clothes dryer, and a lobby.
- All types of heaters and cooking equipment are not allowed.
- Approximately USD 60 per month
- Bedding rental USD 20 per month
- All applicants who are not Korean need a visa to study in Korea. In order to get a visa, you must apply for one with the original certificate of admission issued by GIST at the embassy or consulate of the Republic of Korea in your home country.
* The certificate of admission will be sent to the student on Dec 2019.
○ Health Insurance
- GIST does not provide any insurance for exchange students. Although the limit of coverage is up to each student, all incoming exchange students must acquire health insurance that covers them during the full duration of their stay overseas.
○ Arrival Dates / Orientation
- The student should arrive before a week prior to the beginning of the semester.
- Individual orientation by our exchange coordinators will be proceeded.
- GIST offers Korean language courses.